Since making efforts to eat cleaner, I’ve been trying to find some healthier alternatives to the sweets and treats I love and crave. Tonight, I tried this recipe and I’m very happy with the results. Even the kids liked them!
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
Prep time: 10 Minutes – Cook time: Approx 30 Minutes – Total time: Approx 40 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12 – 16 Brownies
Gluten-Free Brownie Ingredients:
- 1 can black beans (15oz – rinsed and drained)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg whites (or 3 eggs total)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave, honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (more if you wish)
Peanut Butter Swirl Ingredients:
- 1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp agave, maple syrup or honey
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Place all of the gluten-free brownie ingredients into your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread batter into baking dish.
- On your stovetop melt peanut butter swirl ingredients together and mix.
- Dollop peanut butter swirl mixture with a spoon about an inch from each other on the brownie batter.
- Use a knife to create swirls in the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- *Ovens vary so your discretion is needed. You will know your brownies are baked when the top becomes firm and the brownies pull away from the sides of the dish.
- Sticking a tooth pick in the middle and pulling it out clean will ensure your brownies are baked fully.
- Remove from oven when baked and let set in the baking dish for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully cut the brownies, serve and enjoy!
- To store brownies, let them cool completely and then store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
I’ve seen many different recipes for black bean/gluten-free brownies but the coffee and addition of the peanut butter swirl is what caught my eye and made me try these.